Re: transaction lock prevents test installs by non-root users?

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 13:39 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:23 +0000, s.davison@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I'd like to set up a system whereby developers,
> > who do not have root privileges, can build and
> > test-install binary RPMs.
>
> Have a look at a build system such as mach.
> mach builds rpms within its own chroot environment, and this could
> fairly easily be made per-user rather than (or as well as) per
> distribution (which is the default).  You can get access into the
> chrooted environment and install packages within it, although if you
> want to test complex systems (which probably means anything X-like) then
> it will probably be insufficient.
>
> mach can be found at
> 	http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/
>
> I believe there is a port within Fedora Extras, and there is some
> information about it within the Fedora Wiki.  The current version is
> 0.4.7 and includes support for yum repositories (which works better for
> me).

You should also look at Plague (The Fedora Build System) it's a
distributed package build system.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Plague

Or you could just use 'mock' to create a chrooted build environment and
give your developers access to it to test their packages (does not
require root access and is selinux compliant).

Bob

--
Bob Kashani
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bobk/garnome