Re: SPEC: How to specify package ARCH for REQUIRES?

Hi,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "trip your posts"...

Perhaps its best just to ignore Oracle and make this, once again, a very
generic discussion:

I need a way in which I can specify the architecture of a package in the
SPEC file REQUIRES attribute.

Your suggest solution, which was to specify libraries or specific files
that are in the the package that I wish to depend upon, instead of
specifiying the name of the package, has serious problems, because possibly
some other package that I don't want to install happens to contain the
library or file that I specified in the SPEC (as I demonstrated
previously.)

I literally need to install libstdc++, and specifically the x86_64 version!

Thanks,

Christian

             Paul Nasrat
             <pnasrat@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  RPM Package Manager
             rpm-list-bounces@         <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
             redhat.com                                                 cc
                                       rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
             16.09.2005 17:08          Re: SPEC: How to specify package
                                       ARCH for REQUIRES?

             Please respond to
                RPM Package
                  Manager
             <rpm-list@redhat.
                   com>

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 17:04 +0200, Christian.Rohrmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

First off please trip your posts

> # rpm -qa --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n' | sort | grep
> libstdc++
> compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.128.i386
> compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.128.i386
> libstdc++-3.2.3-52.i386
> libstdc++-3.2.3-52.x86_64
> libstdc++-devel-3.2.3-52.x86_64
>
> # rpm -ql libstdc++-3.2.3-52.x86_64 | sort
> /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5
> /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5.0.3

use rpm --provides libstdc++-3.2.3-52.x86_64 to figure out the provides,
rpm automagically does this for elf based deps on shared libraries, as
you're writing a virtual package you have the pain.

> In the SPEC:
>
> Requires: libstdc++.so.5()(64bit)
>
> I made an RPM out of that, and tried to install it:
>
> # rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/oradep_rhel3-1.0-1.x86_64.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libstdc++.so.5()(64bit) is needed by oradep_rhel3-1.0-1.x86_64
>     Suggested resolutions:
>         compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.3.x86_64.rpm

Check your provides against your requires.  Although it's quite possible
oracle requires the compat libs - obviously using a depsolver will pull
in the correct packages so this doesn't look like an issue to me,
assuming you have the correct Requires: lines.

Paul