Re: SPEC: How to specify package ARCH for REQUIRES?

Hi,

yeah, you are right: RPM definately knows what Arch the package is for.

Still a mystery as to how define it in the SPEC...

I contemplated something really ugly like: in the %post script, I could use
Yum to install the "dependent" packages! Yum can handle things like
libstdc++.i386 and libstdc++.x86_64. But it seems to be absosmurfly
horrendous to make an RPM that calls a packmanager-front end, like Yum, to
install its own dependencies! =(

-Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

             Jos Vos
             <jos@xxxxxx>
             rpm-list-bounces@         RPM Package Manager
             redhat.com                <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             16.09.2005 11:41                                      Subject
                                       Re: SPEC: How to specify package
                                       ARCH for REQUIRES?
             Please respond to
                RPM Package
                  Manager
             <rpm-list@redhat.
                   com>

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 11:36:48AM +0200, Christian.Rohrmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> [root@xxx os]# rpm -qp libstdc++-3.2.3-52.i386.rpm
> libstdc++-3.2.3-52
> [root@xxx os]# rpm -qp libstdc++-3.2.3-52.x86_64.rpm
> libstdc++-3.2.3-52

Just do:

rpm -qp --qf '%name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n' ...

> RPM evidently isn't able to destinguish between the two. They are
> identical!

No, they are not, and rpm knows about it, see above.

> Hence: How do I specify in the REQUIRES section of an RPM SPEC file which
> achitecture of  a depency is to be installed when there is one package
with
> two or more different architctures available?

Unfortunately I do not know the answer (but I'm curious to know ;-)).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>