Re: Permission denied while %makeinstall

Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> > Andreas Radke wrote:
> > ln: Erzeugen der symbolischen Verknüpfung ,,doc" zu ,,../xfce4/doc":
> > Permission denied
> > Lots of other packages run through well. But some end with this "Permission
> > denied" error.
>
> The commas don't look particularly healthy to me.

I agree.

Pick a spec file and right before the ln command fails insert some
debugging script code to check those paths.  I am guessing you will
find that they do not exist.

  ls -ld ,,../xfce4

That is probably supposed to be "ln doc ../xfce4/doc" but is getting
mangled for some reason.  You might try building in a C/POSIX locale
to see if it is a locale issue.

  LC_ALL=C rpmbuild -ba file.spec

You can usually short circuit the build and debug quicker with the
following.  Makes debugging easier and faster.

  rpmbuild --short-circuit -bi file.spec

Usually those types of permission denied errors are because Makefiles
leave out prefix or DESTDIR handling from some manually added part of
it.  Then it tries to install in /usr/bin or some such place directly
without going into the BuildRoot.  I frequently have to patch
Makefiles and send bugs upstream for such problems.

Bob