Re: newbie chroot type question...

Bart Whiteley bwhiteley-at-novell.com |rpm-list| wrote:

Why install RPMs into a chroot on each box? Why not just tar up the build environment, and anyone that needs it can untar it locally. Or, NFS export the build environment to all who need it.

My habit is to make things that change very infrequently local. I'd like to 'set it and forget it' by not having my users depend on yet another host to do their work. As far as tar goes, maybe so. Woud there be any reason I couldn't run a command like 'rpm -ql packageName' in the untared build enviroment?