Re: adding users...

Jason Pyeron wrote:
> I can check to see if the user is in existance using getent passwd
> and then add it as needed using useradd. But now if I put them in a script
> the package will not require them, enter the HP-UX issue.

Almost none of the commonly available GNU/Linux rpm packages would
work out of the box on HP-UX.  So I would not try to support it if I
were you.  In my case it is a platform I need to support and so I do
worry about those things.  But you should not need to do so.

I am leaning more and more toward saying that doing what some vendors
do for packages, namely running useradd unconditionally and ignoring
errors, is the simplest answer.

>  [root@testserver redhat]# rpm -q --whatprovides useradd
>  no package provides useradd
>  [root@testserver redhat]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/sbin/useradd
>  shadow-utils-4.0.3-23.08
>
> This now begs the question. How does one require useradd/getent without
> naming the full path or package name?

The useradd command is covered by the FHS and LSB.  As such I believe
you can just assume that a system will have that command.  I don't
believe you need to require it specifically.

Bob