Re: Question about odd RPMs, i.e. Grub

Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 16:03 -0700, Dan Trainor wrote:
>
>>Hello, all -
>>
>>I have a specific question regarding GRUB.
>

> This really is the wrong list for your question - this list is for use
> of rpm and rpmbuild, etc.
>
> Distribution specific questions should go to those lists not here.  I'll
> try to point you in the right direction.
>

>>I'd like to know how, and when, GRUB is installed, and set up.  I've
>>plowed through some recent GRUB spec files for RHEL and the like, but
>>have found no answers.  At this point, I'm convinced that Anaconda
>>"knows" about grub, and proceeds to set it up after GRUB is installed.
>

> There is a python library called booty that we use for boot loader
> configuration.  There is also a utility called grubby.
>

>>I need to append some arguments to the kernel line of a grub.conf that
>>is to be installed.  However, I can't tell at what point, or where for
>>that matter, grub.conf is iether created, or "lives" post-anaconda-install.
>

> You might want to try kickstart-list or a RHEL based list with more
> specifics of your need.
>
> The grub conf lives in /boot/grub/grub.conf with a symlink to /etc/
>
> Paul

Hey, Paul -

I thought I had sent this to the appropriate list - if not, I'm sorry.
I understand what this list is for, and if you take into consideration
the smaller picture, i.e. how I'm trying to manipulate a GRUB RPM, you
might see where I'm going here.

However, I was under the impression at first that RPM may be the
function that applies grub's configuration setup file, and that someone
has been down the same road before, and might be able to shed some light
on the subject.  Like I said, I've tread through grub's .spec files and
have not seen any suggestions as to how the RPM actually installs any
configuration information, so I'm at this time assuming that it does
not.  I guess I was just looking for verification on this one, if
someone has had this experience in the past.

I'll fire off an email here to the kickstart list and see what comes back.

Thanks anyway
-dant