Re: Pausing RPM installation for user input

bob@xxxxxxxxxx (Bob Proulx) writes:

> Dan Trainor wrote:
> > I guess whatever I do, it will involve %post, since I've been told time
> > and time again that RPM, by design (and otherwise I would agree with
> > this, if not for this particular project) was designed to be a
> > completely automated process, requiring no outside input other than the
> > command issued to actually install the RPM.
>
> Have you considered including a configuration script in your package
> and calling that configuration script after rpm has installed it?
> Then you are back in normal space and everything should be fine.
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   rpm -Uvh mypackage.rpm
>   exec /usr/sbin/reconfigure-mypackage

Or rpm -Uvh mypackage.rpm

and build mypackage.rpm so that on the FIRST run/start it asks for
configuration information.

Either way is probably cleaner and will save you trouble in the end.

The only real problem is you will find _someone_ who installs the rpm
and configures it to start unattended and of course finds it does not
work "as expected"...

Simon