Re: Chosing target OS from AIX

--target=<arch>-<os>

Works fine on RPM 4.3.x for me. The key is that the values won't show up in a --showrc or --eval as they don't appear to be evaluated before that --showrc or --eval is executed. (This is from memory, so I may be wrong.)

But I regularly create linux-os packages on Solaris.

--Mark

Bob Proulx wrote:
Pascal Terjan wrote:

(To the list moderator, please drop the email I sent last Friday, I
cannot cancel it anymore as the confirmation string expired. I have
subscribed in order to be able to post this message...)

Regardless of the mailing list's autoresponder message saying it might
be approved my experience is that if you get that message then that
message will be silently discarded without review.  :-(

--target is well read but does not work : I see the messages "Building
target platforms: noarch-foo-linux" and "Building for target
noarch-foo-linux" but rpm -q --qf %{OS} tells aix5.2 and I need
--ignoreos to install it under Linux.

Yes.  That is a problem.  I see that too.

Does anyone have any clue on how to have --target working fine under
AIX, or maybe some newer rpm for AIX which would work better on this
point ?

I think this is a limitation of rpm.  I don't think it supports doing
what you (and me) want it to do in that case.  I think the only choice
you have is to build the rpm on the target os you are trying to
install upon.  There is a 'noarch' rpm but there is no 'noos' rpm.  (I
would love it if someone were able to educate us differently because
this is a feature I would love to have too.)

I think you will need to give up and build all of your noarch rpms on
all of the platforms for which you intend to install them.

Bob