Re: die function for RPM %pre, %post sections, etc

Sean Sosik-Hamor wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2005, at 4:53 PM, Dan Trainor wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if RPM had a built-in "die" function, so that if I was
>> looking for some install prerequisites in %pre or some such, and if  they
>> were not met, the RPM install would bail out with an error of my  choice,
>> so that the install would not continue.
>

> If your prerequisites are other RPMS then you can use the Requires:
> tag; RPM won't continue unless the RPM dependencies are satisfied.
>
> If your prerequisites are files not under RPM control then I'd
> experiment with exit codes in %pre (I didn't RTFM so I don't know if
> there's a %die or %exit macro).

> Source0: %{name}-%{version}-%{release}.tgz
> License: Pepper Computer, Inc.
> Group: Base
> BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-root
> Vendor: Pepper Computer, Inc.
> Packager: Pepper Computer, Inc.
> Requires: kernel >= 2.4.20-5.pepper
> Obsoletes: peppertime
> Obsoletes: peppertv
>
> /Sean/

Sean -

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, I forgot to mention - the prereq's would be determined based on
some shell chickenscratch that simply checks for the existance of files,
what machine type, etc etc.  I understand that Requires: would work in
certain situations, but not for this one.

Thanks
-dant