Re: deleting temp utilities/files after %post

Jason Pyeron wrote:
> My first instinct is to use 2 rpms.
>
> rpm -ivh util-permachine.rpm
> rpm -Uvh software.rpm
>

> Here's how RPM performs an upgrade:
>
> Run %pre of new package
> Install new files
> Run %post of new package
> Run %preun of old package
> Delete any old files not overwritten by newer ones
> Run %postun of old package
>

> so have software.rpm obsolete the util.rpm
>

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Dan Trainor wrote:
>
>> Hello, all -
>>
>> I've got a wierd one here.  Here's some background.
>>
>> I made an RPM that works perfectly.  In fact, I was very proud of this
>> one, since it was my first, and it actually worked.  I'd like to take it
>> one step further, however.
>>
>> This RPM contains software that our company makes.  This software, as of
>> yet, is first installed, and then a tech comes by and runs some other
>> applications on the machine that set up information such as usernames,
>> passwords, etc etc.  The tools that this tech uses, for obvious reasons,
>> are not left on the system after they're used.  However, I'd like to
>> automate the process to take the tech out of the loop, and save a bit of
>> time.
>>
>> What I'd like to do is include these utilities that are used for setup
>> inside of the RPM, but when the %post routine is ran through, I'd like
>> the process to delete the utilities, which should not remain on the
>> system.
>>
>> The utilities are machine-specific, meaning, I cannot create RPMs that
>> are already set up to be placed on an individual machine - they must be
>> run on the machine where the RPM is being installed.  Like I said, after
>> these utilities are ran in the %post routine, they should then be
>> deleted, as to not remain on the machine any longer.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience doing this?  I guess first and foremost,
>> would I list these utilities in %files?  Since they won't actually
>> reside on the system, I don't think they need to or should be under
>> %files.  However, last I recall, rpmbuild will complain if files are
>> installed and not listed in the %files section.
>>
>> Any and all help would be appreciated, because I'm sure that this is not
>> part of any "normal" procedure.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -dant

Jason -

It looks like that would work.  However, software.rpm would need to be
installed prior to util-permachine.rpm, because util-permahcine.rpm
would be configuring based on the contents of software.rpm.

Any idea how I might go about this?

Thanks!
-dant