Re: %install section question

On 6/6/05, Kolev, Nik <NKolev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> What, then, tells "rpm -i|U|F" what to do (which directories to create if
> >> missing, which files to put there, etc).
> >

> aha,
> So the %install tells rpmbuild how to assemble the package, and the %files tells "rpm -i|U|F" what to put and where to put it, and what perms do things have; and what "rpm -e" should remove.
> Thanks guys, things seem a lot clearer now,
> nik

Internally, I have users that when the first start using rpm are
mystified by %install, mainly because its a whose name makes you think
its an install time activity, but its really a build time activity.
So its not amazing that you would stumble over that also.
Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing you really don't want to
change because the mass borkage it would cause.  Also, %install
actually communicates what it does; it installs the software you are
building into the build root.

Cheers...james