%install section question

Title: %install section question

Hi all,

New rpmbuild user here (building a binary package).

Correct me if I'm wrong: the %install section of the spec file gets executed both at "rpmbuild -bb" and at "rpm -i|U" time.

I've seen example spec files that have "rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT" at the beginning of the %install section. I can understand why one would want to do this while building the rpm ("rpmbuild"), but isn't it dangerous to have that in when doing an rpm install ("rpm -i") in case there is a variable $RPM_BUILD_ROOT defined (as some directory) in the superuser's environment; or environment variables do not make it in an "rpm -i" run or are not interpreted as such when the %install scriptlet runs during an rpm install?

Thanks,
Nik