Re: %postin hackery, passing arguments to post-install script/program

Paul Nasrat wrote:
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 14:06 -0700, dan wrote:

Jim Knoble wrote:

Circa 2005-06-01 dixit dan:

Note that this method is somewhat brittle and doesn't respond well when
differing or modified versions of somecommand ask different questions
(or a different number of them).

this is exactly what I'm looking for. I was just not certain that text could be input in that mannerm, using cat.

I'll toy around with it.

And what happens if someone uses a non rpm cli to do the install
(rpmlib) potentially via a gui, or via kickstart.

rpm installs are designed to be non-interactive.  Instead write a config
program users can use post install.

Paul

The RPMs in question are completely proprietary, and we will have a department that does all the setup and installation. If there is any tweaking needed, the staff will be trained to deal with it accordingly. However, in an effort to save some time, I'd like to make the process as automated as possible.

I would have liked to store configuration files with the package distributions, but due to some paramaters that are uniquely generated on a per-machine basis, this is not possible. Bummer.

However, you do have a good point. If the time comes where we find that a GUI of any kind will be used, or any other installation method aside from our expected one will be used, we will definately keep this in mind.

Thanks for the time
-dant