Re: %postin hackery, passing arguments to post-install script/program

Jim Knoble wrote:
Circa 2005-06-01 dixit dan:

: I have a unique situation here. Upon installation of my RPM, I need to : run a command, that is unable to take command-line arguments, and need : to "step through" it in order to make some final preperations for my RPM : installation.

  [...]

: So I'm pretty sure, as I said, 'expect' is what I'll need to use in a : situation like that. I was wondering, however, if anyone else has come : across a situation like this, and if so, how did you go about doing it? : Did you use 'expect', or some other utility?

Depends.  If the questions are known and unconditional, it's much
simpler to use a simple here document.  For example, assume your
script-crippled command, 'somecommand' asks questions like:

    Where have you installed the fizzgig?
    What is your hostname?
    What IP address should the fizzgig listen on?
    How many fizzgigs should run?

and, finally:

    I am about to configure the fizzgig.  Are you sure you want to
    continue?

Then you can "script" somecommand as follows:

    somecommand <<EOF
    /opt/fizzgig
    skeksis.example.net
    192.0.2.13
    999
    EOF

If you want to get fancy, you can comment your response script:

    cat <<EOF |egrep -v '^[ 	]*(#.*)?$' |somecommand
    # Where have you installed the fizzgig?
    /opt/fizzgig

    # What is your hostname?
    skeksis.example.net

    # What IP address should the fizzgig listen on?
    192.0.2.13

    # How many fizzgigs should run?
    999

    # Are you sure?
    EOF

Note that this method is somewhat brittle and doesn't respond well when
differing or modified versions of somecommand ask different questions
(or a different number of them).

Good luck.

Jim -

I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. I was just not certain that text could be input in that mannerm, using cat.

I'll toy around with it.

THanks again for your time
-dant