documentation

Hello List!

Is there some good documentation around that explains how up2date uses the python bindings to rpmlib? Specifically I would like to know when up2date updates the rpm database. I'm looking through the up2date python code right now, but being new to python and rpm and C I'm learning as I go! I have a million questions, for example: What exactly is an rpm transaction? Is this the event which installs the new package, removes the old, and updates the rpm db? Is there anyplace which has this documentation?

Thanks for the help! I'm certainly lost here!

--Jim