Re: RPM database recovery via list of rpm files

dan wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

dan wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, I managed to break the rpm database on my FC3 box quite badly a while back (may have been a result of temporary disk failure due to system overheat.) Fortunately, it turns out that I have a fairly accurate list of packages that are supposed to be installed, in the form of rpm file names - thanks to /var/log/rpmpkgs and its backups. So how do I recover the database based on this list? I guess I want to get hold of each file listed and to rpm -i --justdb on it, but is there some magic yum command or similar that might automate the process? (The rpms are taken from various different repos, so it's not just a question of a simple ftp mget + rpm install.)

- Toralf

Tor -

I'm not familiar with that method, but I am sure you can use something like this:

rpm -qa|xargs rpm -i --justdb

or make a shell script that does a while loop on the text file of the RPMs that are/should be installed.

Yes, but won't I need the actual rpm files before I can do that?

Maybe I wasn't very clear on this, but the way I see it, the main problem is not to find out what rpm commands to use, but to obtain the files they want as input. I haven't kept copies of everything I've downloaded, and the packages came from various different sources (although I generally take add-ons from large repositories like Fedora Extras or Freshrpms) so finding the correct version of each and every rpm file looks like lot of work ;-(

'xargs' is a very useful command. It takes stdout and runs it as an argument to a command. Very useful indeed.

Hope that helps
-dant

Tor -

ALright, I think I understand your problem a bit more here. Unfortunately I don't know what to tell you. I thought you said that you had, for some reason, a text file of all RPMs installed.

I have a text file listing all the rpm *file names*. The problem is that I don't have the rpm *files*. And I've done a lot of upgrades and additions, so getting them is not just a matter of inserting the OS distribution DVD...

If you still have it, and you did a "normal" install, there should be a ~/install.log* in /root that you can see all base packages installed. I don't know how many udpates you've done since then, so I don't know how useful this will be to you, but it's a start.

Good luck
-dant