Re: RPM database recovery via list of rpm files

Toralf Lund wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I managed to break the rpm database on my FC3 box quite badly a while back (may have been a result of temporary disk failure due to system overheat.) Fortunately, it turns out that I have a fairly accurate list of packages that are supposed to be installed, in the form of rpm file names - thanks to /var/log/rpmpkgs and its backups. So how do I recover the database based on this list? I guess I want to get hold of each file listed and to rpm -i --justdb on it, but is there some magic yum command or similar that might automate the process? (The rpms are taken from various different repos, so it's not just a question of a simple ftp mget + rpm install.)

- Toralf

Tor -

I'm not familiar with that method, but I am sure you can use something like this:

rpm -qa|xargs rpm -i --justdb

or make a shell script that does a while loop on the text file of the RPMs that are/should be installed.

'xargs' is a very useful command. It takes stdout and runs it as an argument to a command. Very useful indeed.

Hope that helps
-dant