Re: 'Requires' does not properly work for file requirements

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 11:40, Mihai Maties wrote:
> I have the following scenario:
>
> - the package "foo" provides /usr/bin/some_file
> - the package "bar" requires "foo" (Requires: foo)
> 	- in bar(%preun) I run /usr/bin/some_file
>
> rpm -i foo.rpm bar.rpm		# (OK)
>
> rpm -e foo			# error, foo is required by bar (OK)
>
> rpm -e foo bar			# I get an error in bar(%preun) stating:
> 				# .../usr/bin/some_file file not found...
>
> I tried to explicitly force "Requires(preun): /usr/bin/some_file" but this
> behavior did not change. No matter what I try to put in bar.spec the
> bar(%preun) script fails because all foo's files are removed prior to
> running the script.
>
> Is this a rpm bug related to asyncronus operations or am I missing
> something here ?

I'll send a reply to my own message hoping it'll help others who browse the
list's archives.

[ Thanks Paul Nasrat and Jeff Johnson for clearing this out on IRC. ]

The issue I ecountered is related to the fact that the packages are not sorted
before uninstalling. This way a package might be removed even if some other
package's scripts (from the same transaction) depend on it.

Jeff stated that during rpm development "the erasures have always been lower
priority" so no ETA on the fix was given. However since this problem persists
for a few years and no one else encountered it can be considered a "low
priority" one.

Mihai

For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/