Re: Reading little endian RPM db files on big endian machine

On 4/26/05, Sean Sosik-Hamor <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2005, at 03:47 PM, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone is aware of any issues regarding
> > reading/using /var/lib/rpm/*  db files on a big endian machine (e.g.
> > PPC) that were generated on an ix86 host?   A simple "rpm -qa"  run on
> > the PPC lists off about 25 packages and then fails with:
> >
> > memory alloc (260046852 bytes) returned NULL.
>
> I'm not sure about big endian vs. little endian, but i386-generated
> /var/lib/rpm/* db files don't seem to work on armv5tel (neither
> cross-compiled nor native-compiled) with MontaVista Linux. MontaVista
> support couldn't even get a cross-compiled RPM to properly run on
> armv5tel; I had to patch, build, and creative native RPM RPMs for
> armv5tel. :(
>
> Does this answer your question? Probably not. Does it hint that RPM
> databases are occasionally wonky when jumping architectures? Yup. :)
>
> /Sean/

Sean, IIRC one of the guys at Monta Vista was the one that did the
initial SQLlite
support patch for rpm.  IIRC he dealt with some endian issues
there...but my memory is always fuzzy with things I am not directly
working on so I could be very wrong.  Course maybe with SQLlite there
just arn't any such issues.

Cheers...james