integer overflow in pre install script

I have a rpm spec file that checks the amount of free blocks on a mount point
before installing the rpm.  The rpm has been used for approx. a year now,
without issue.  Now I have a SATA disk array over 1 TB on a server and when
the rpm tries to install, it says there is not enough space on the mount
point.  Knowing there was plenty of free space the suspicion was too large a
number for the test.  (Doing "[ <first number> -lt <second number> ]")  I
pulled the test out of the spec file and ran it with /bin/sh and /bin/bash.
SH had the issue but Bash did not.  My work around was to use up approx. 300
GB of space with a text file, but that can't be a permanent thing.  It takes
way too much time to create a file that size.

So, is there a way I can get rpm to use /bin/bash instead of /bin/sh or some
other fix?  I have tried putting #!/bin/bash at the top of the script, but
that does not work. I also tried designating /bin/bash for the build shell to
use in the .rpmmacros file, but that did not work either.

Thanks,
Bryan.