db4 errors DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND

I have been having lots of problems with rpm on some CentOS-3 boxes. The first sign of problems was when an rpm locked up rpm when it was installed. An strace showed that it was stalling on a futex.

Some googleing turned up a suggestion to use
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
which appeared to solve the problem. A few machines had db errors so I used --rebuilddb and things seemed good.

However, now I can not do any rpm operations without LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 set. If it is not set, rpm -qa will output some packages before dying with

libtool-libs-1.4.3-6
gdb-6.1post-1.20040607.52
oracle-instantclient-devel-10.1.0.3-1
mozilla-nspr-1.4.4-1.3.5.1.centos
error: db4 error(-30989) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found

Other operations just print db4 the error. When I set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 everything works again.

Can anyone explain the problem here and how I might recover from it. I do have some other CentOS-3 boxes which don't have this problem which is puzzling.

John.

--
John Newbigin
Computer Systems Officer