rpmmacros and srpms

One of the irritants in building cross-platform
pkgs is that sometimes variants in rpm defaults
(across distros) breaks stuff at build time.
This kind of thing comes up on this list now and
then... unpackaged_files_terminate_build, whether
or not to compress manpages, etc.

Fairly easily smoothed out with a local rpmmacros
file, I can do a cvs export of my code, type
make, and get something functionally equivalent
whether I used RH, SuSE, Mandrake, or something
else as the build machine.

Except... the srpm that resulted from turning
that crank doesn't have that macro information
embedded in it, and if someone now tries to
rebuild from the srpm, the same problem is
reintroduced that I thought was just fixed.

Is there an answer for this?  The things noted
don't seem to be able to go into the specfile,
that's why they ended up in rpmmacros in the
first palce.