rpmbuild: disabling stripping in spec file?

Hey all --

I am trying to keep rpmbuild from stripping ELF files automatically in a build tree, to no avail.

First, let me tell you why I care.  I'm currently working on a commercial product that has its own development environment.  We would like users to load files with symbols in place for some applications.  However, we'd also like to strip our binaries for said environment clean.  (I have no problem with finding the files to strip, and doing it "manually".)

On top of this, the files we want to keep intact are ELF files that rpmbuild chokes on (abnormal field contents in headers, I believe).  Obviously, I'd like to build an RPM without even reading these files if at all possible.

Well, the version of rpm I have (4.2.1) does the stripping automatically, whether I like it or not.  I've tried numerous incantations, including adding the following to the spec file:

%define __check_files %{nil}
%define __spec_install_post "/usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress || :"
%define __os_install_post "/usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress || :"

I get this error message:

rpmbuild: corrupted program header size.

(Bloody useful, isn't it?  At first, I thought it came from /usr/bin/file, but no, rpmbuild produces the exact same error message.. in three separate places in its code.. in the file file/readelf.c to be exact.)

Nothing so far has worked.  I'm ready to give up.
How do I turn off the automatic checking and stripping process in rpmbuild?

Thanks in advance,
-- Dan C.