Re: python versions in rpm

David Hugh-Jones wrote:
Hi

I have a fairly simple question. I would like to build an rpm that,
when installed on the user's computer, figures out whether to put
python library files in /usr/lib/python2.3/ or /usr/lib/python2.2/
etc.

In other words, I want to have one rpm for as many distros as
possible, rather than having different rpms for every distro with a
different python version.

Is this possible? I note that the .spec file can include things like

/usr/lib/python*/site-packages/

in the %files section, but I assume that when you build the rpm, it
automatically selects the path where the files are installed on your
host system.

I'd say the best way to do it is to have a single src.rpm that you just rebuild for multiple distros and puts the files in the right place that way.

That's the cleanest way. There's a really ugly way of putting the .py files in /usr/share/<module name> then having %post create symlinks pointing to it.. but that's not that clean and potentially confusing to sysadmins trying to figure out what that package is doing. And just running 'rpmbuild --rebuild' on the src.rpm isn't that hard, especially if it doesn't need to compile anything.

And if it is actually compiling python modules written in C, you probably want to rebuild for each distro anyways.