Re: building an RPM from just binaries

Bart Whiteley wrote:

On Thursday 03 February 2005 2:29 pm, V. Buijtendijk wrote:

Hey,
I'm a beginner at RPM so please be gentle ;)

I have some binary files for multiple architectures. I would like to pack
these in an RPM installer file. It should basically detect the current
architecture and copy these files to the correct location. Maybe in the
future I will need to add dependencies.
What is the easiest way to do this?

For your information, I don't have the sources of these binaries.

Just list the binaries as sources, either individually or tar them up.

Then untar the binaries in the %prep section, skip the %build section, copy the binaries to $RPM_BUILD_ROOT in the %install section, and list them in the %files section. Do whatever you need to in the pre/post scripts.

Yep.

Also note that

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2005-February/msg00005.html

answers what's essentially the same question.

You should only do this if you really don't have the sources. If you
do have the sources, there are a lot of advantages to doing things
the "right" way.