Re: Multi-arch RPM at once

On Tuesday, 01 February 2005, at 14:20:36 (+0100),
Toralf Lund wrote:

> Nice. It's new to me as well that you can do this. But the
> functionality is perhaps not documented anywhere?

I forget how I learned of it.  Most likely I discovered it by
accident, or I may have gotten it from HJ Lu.  (We worked together at
the time.)

> A couple of questions related to this:
>
>   1. Can I get the same effect via rpm tag setup or macro definitions?
>      I mean, can I do
>      BuildArch: i386,i686,x86_64
>      or similar in order to get multiple builds even when not using
>      --target? (I don't think BuildArch works that way, but a different
>      tag, perhaps? Or some kind of macro trickery?)
>   2. Is there any way to tell the build invocations apart, besides
>      testing the architecture? What I have in mind is something like
>      %if %_now_executing_build_script_for_the_first_target_listed
>      doSomething
>      %else
>      doSomethingElseEntirely
>      %endif

The comma-separated syntax for --target causes essentially the same
effect as a shell loop like this:

for i in i386 i686 x86_64 ; do rpmbuild --target=$i ; done

So, as you would expect in the single-arch case, standard
%ifarch/%ifnarch semantics work correctly in the multi-arch case as
well.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>
 "If a child annoys you, quiet him by brushing his hair.  If this
  the child."           -- Unknown, from a screen shot at mandrake.net