Rpm Sharing

Hello,

I have what appears to be a rather unique question, which has not been answered on the Internet, rpm website; the one I visited is http://www.rpm.org/, support pages and linked, or documentation.

I am interested in running an rpm-based distribution that has some new features, that I have outlined below.

    1. Native support for serial ata. I consider native support as not requiring external drivers at startup or installation.
    2. Hyper-Threading Technology

From my research in order to get the two features I have listed, I will need a distribution that is running either kernel 2.6 or later.

I looked up where I stand as far as driver support under linux, and luckily my system manufacture already provides native drivers, but their limited on distributions.

    1. SUSE Linux
    2. Red Hat Linux 9

Would I receive the following features with rpm, 1. cross-compatibility. If I took a Red Hat Linux 9 rpm could I install it on a different distribution? 2. backwards compatibility. Is it possible to use a 4.1 rpm distributable on a older rpm installation?

Thank you

JB

Do you Yahoo!?