Re: Embedded hyphens in the Version of kernel RPMs

Wojtek and Hal,

Thanks very much for your replies. After your posts I was able to get
the result I wanted. It would appear that inexperience was my biggest
problem here :-) However, I still found that other tweeks became
necessary as a result of your suggestion. For example I needed to modify
the %setup entry to include
        -n kernel-2.4.20-18
in order to end up the the right tar layout for inclusion in the
package. I also had to fiddle with the Makefile to glue the thing
together correctly - beats me why it isn't distributed  this way in the
first place ? Perhaps there's a better way to achieve the same result
(probably!)

Anyway, thanks very much for your help.

John

Hal Wine wrote:

John wrote:

the generally distributed one) such that
  rpm -qp  MYRPM.rpm
produces the result
kernel-BOOT-2.4.20-18.7

The key issue is with the embedded '-' sign in the the 'Version:' part

There isn't an embedded '-' in the version. That's the separator between the version and the release. Use:
version: 2.4.20
release: 18.7
in your spec file.

--Hal