Re: [RFH] Managing the rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES} namespace

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:49:57PM -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> I am not clear about the namespace in the rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES}
> directories.

It is a mistake to think of it as a proper "namespace".  It is plain
vanilla directory being used as a simple container.

> Namely, my understanding is ...

correct.

> This is all good, but what happens when we install a bunch of
> .src.rpm's?  How is the rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES} namespace managed?  What
> guarantee do we have that packages will not have conflicting
> source/patch filenames.

Again, it is not a namespace.  There are no guarantees beyond those
provided by the underlying file system.

People implement various procedures for their needs.  It sounds like
you need to do this, too.  Perhaps Jos Vos's suggestion for using a
different rpm build directory for each package will work for you.

I choose to treat installed source files (in the RPM build area) as
temporary, like files in /tmp, able to be deleted at any time.

--

Robert Lehr
(concatenate 'string "bozzio" "@" "the-lehrs" ".com")