[RFH] Managing the rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES} namespace

Hi folks,

I am not clear about the namespace in the rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES}
directories. Namely, my understanding is that when a .src.rpm
package is installed, its .spec file is copied into
	rpm/SPECS
and its sources/patches into
    rpm/SOURCES

This is all good. For example, installing the kernel source in a
clean (personal) rpm/ dir, I get:

[dimi@dimi ~]$ rm `find rpm/ -type f`
[dimi@dimi ~]$ rpm -i kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
[dimi@dimi ~]$ find rpm/ -type f
rpm/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
rpm/SOURCES/patch-2.6.9-final-bk2.bz2
rpm/SOURCES/genkey
rpm/SOURCES/COPYING.modules
rpm/SOURCES/linux-2.6.8-mptfusion-diskdump.patch
rpm/SOURCES/linux-2.6.1-s390-compile.patch
<bunch of patches and sources sniped>

This is all good, but what happens when we install a bunch of .src.rpm's?
How is the rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES} namespace managed? What guarantee do we
have that packages will not have conflicting source/patch filenames.
For example, the "genkey" and "COPYING.modules" files seem pretty likely
to conflict with other packages. If that is the case, how can one build
binary rpms concurrently? Am I missing something?

TIA,
Dimi.