Re: user input at install time?

Le lundi 08 novembre 2004 Ã 10:16 -0800, Ben Tu a Ãcrit :
> I want to ask user for IP-Address and port number at pre-install time.
> then, add those information in the cofiguration file at post-install
> time.

Then either use a conf file people can easily change (and document it)
and/or add a small app to the rpm that will change the conf files for
the user (with a text ui too if you go the X way please).

You know people do change IPs/server names every once in a while. As a
matter of fact I've just spent several hours on the phone with
BIG_COMPANY_SUPPORT because their app used a non-rpm installer with such
a dialog, and was b0rked when the network was reorganised. (to be fair
they did have an obscure script to handle the situation even though
their two previous released would have been utterly lost for the cause
in the same situation)

rpm is great because it is non-interactive and forces separation of
installation and setup. You can launch a long transaction and come back
the next morning to configure your stuff instead of sitting before your
screen waiting for the ultimate click-through screen that will release
you for more productive work.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot