RPM build/install questions

Hello rpm-list,

I'm sorry if I should be able to find the answer to this
under my own steam.  I have Googled and read various pages
and HOWTOs, but nothing I have tried has had the desired
effect.

I'm using rpmbuild on a RedHat ES3 machine.

Essentially, the problem I have is that I can't work out
how to get my files placed where I want them.  For example,
I have the following:

BuildRoot: /usr/local/mydir
Prefix: /usr/local/mydir

%files
/stuff/server/Myprocess
/stuff/server/Myfile
# shared libraries
/usr/lib/libStuff.so.1.0.0

This is OK, and the files get found and packaged.  However,
upon installation they get dropped into /, rather than
/usr/local/mydir

I've tried various values for BuildRoot, including "/" which
isn't allowed.

Also, I can't figure out how to install a symlink at the
same time.  What I need is for
/usr/local/mydir/usr/lib/libStuff.so to point at
/usr/local/mydir/usr/lib/libStuff.so.1.0.0, and although
I have ln commands in the %install section, this doesn't
appear to be the solution.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.  I'd be just as
grateful for a pointer to an up to date manual/web page
for rpmbuild that will enable me to work it out for myself.

--
Best regards,
 Daren                          mailto:dc@xxxxxxx