Re: RPM: OS, language support

Le jeudi 28 Octobre 2004 23:24, Vincent a écrit :
> Hi there,
> I'm new to RPM and it's the first time I post here.
>
> So, forgive me if I ask a stupid question, I tried to find the answer
> first.
>
> My question is, which programming languages can be used together with RPM?

rpm is written in C, so prefered language is surelly C.

Many project used other language by using a bridge, rpm itself come with
python and perl binding.

- apt4rpm (unofficially made for RedHat, exists for mandrake too) is written
in C. This tools is port of apt from Debian.

- yast (the config from Suse) is written in C as I know.

- urpmi and rpmdrake (from mandrake) are written in perl, actually we use
perl-URPM to provide perl bindings to the rpmlib. I am myself working on
perl-Hdlist, the replacement to perl-URPM for next releases

- yum (fedora) is written in python, it use python binding but I don't know
enought this tools and this language to say more.

I am sure to forget projects, fill this list as you want.

> I know of course that c can be used, and when I browsed this list's
> archive, I found out that it is also possible to use Java (although this
> has some limitations due to licensing issues).

Java ? Burk :)

> I'm looking for a package manager which supports as much programming
> languages and operating systems (if possible even M$ Windows eventually).

rpm ports for cygwin exists, is windows alone really supported ? Config files
seems to say yes. I am really not sure, and I don't think this is the main
feature to provide.

> Any suggestions if RPM might be a good choice?

rpm is designed to maintenant the coherence of the system, it is clearly made
for unix systems, and designed for linux, even it should works on all
systems. It is used on Solaris too.

Is rpm a good choice ? I think rpm is good to do what it actually do, aka
install/uninstall software. This depends what do you want to do.

--
* La distro du 24ème siècle *