Re: "boot strapping" rpm usage on PowerPC Linux (vanilla) 2.6 built from s cratch

Paul Nasrat <pnasrat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 10:38 -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
>> So I need to have rpm2cpio installed before I can extract popt, but I
>> also need to have popt installed before I can build rpm2cpio.
>
> http://rpm.org/tools/scripts/rpm2cpio.sh

Ok, that takes care of the catch-22 for bootstrapping, but it's still
lacking in convenience.  I don't use rpm -  I just need popt for other
things, like rsync.  But I have to download the whole SRPM for rpm
(which is about ten times the size of popt alone), extract a cpio from
the SRPM, extract a tarball from the cpio, unpack the tarball, and
pick out the popt sources from there.

Separate tarballs were (and still are) available for popt versions up
to 1.7.  I'd very much like to have them available for current
versions as well.  Should I be sending this request somewhere else?
Directly to Erik Troan?  Or is there a list specifically for popt?

paul