Re: "boot strapping" rpm usage on PowerPC Linux (vanilla) 2.6 built from s cratch

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:52:56PM -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
> Paul Nasrat <pnasrat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 10:38 -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
> >> So I need to have rpm2cpio installed before I can extract popt, but I
> >> also need to have popt installed before I can build rpm2cpio.
> >
> > http://rpm.org/tools/scripts/rpm2cpio.sh
>
> Ok, that takes care of the catch-22 for bootstrapping, but it's still
> lacking in convenience.  I don't use rpm -  I just need popt for other
> things, like rsync.  But I have to download the whole SRPM for rpm
> (which is about ten times the size of popt alone), extract a cpio from
> the SRPM, extract a tarball from the cpio, unpack the tarball, and
> pick out the popt sources from there.
>
> Separate tarballs were (and still are) available for popt versions up
> to 1.7.  I'd very much like to have them available for current
> versions as well.  Should I be sending this request somewhere else?
> Directly to Erik Troan?  Or is there a list specifically for popt?

cvs -d :pserver:anonymos@xxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/devel login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymos@xxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/devel get -d popt-1.9.1 rpm/popt
tar czvf popt-1.9.1.tar.gz ./popt-1.9.1

Add -r rpm-4_3 or -r rpm-4_2 for older releases. There's nothing in
popt-1.9.1 that will hurt, nothing much has changed for years.

Tar balls for popt (and rpm) are created only upon release. No release
for rpm for 18 months == no tarballs for either rpm or popt.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@xxxxxxxxxx (jbj@xxxxxxx)