Conflicts with file from another package.

I am building my own security package to simplify DSS security
requirements.
As part of the package, I replace the system-auth file from a pam package
as well
as the audit.conf file from a snare-core package.  Attempting to install
the rpm
obviously complains about this.  I am allowed to force the rpm installation
but I would
prefer not to.

Is there a typical way around replacing a file from another package?

Thanks,
---d.dembrow