Re: How to find software dependencies while building a RPM ?

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 15:27 +0200, Nicolas wrote:
> Hello !
> I'm still building the same RPM (I posted here few weeks ago and your
> answers helped me a lot !) and I think that I'm not fat from my goal :)
> (The software is RapidSVN 0.7.0)

OK it's useful to have context on these things.

> But I tested my RPM on another computer and as I feared, I had
> dependency problems...

Define problems.  Are the two computers running the same distribution?
Same version of distro?

What exact error messages are you seeing - rpm is pretty good at giving
you hints.

> I added some dependencies informations into my SPEC files, but as I'm
> not the author of the original software, I don't know how it works in
> details. So my question is the following : How is it possible to know
> which programs or libraries are needed by my program ?

RPM automagically finds library dependencies - so you are probably
hitting that already.

> When I build my software I have to install developpement packages of
> numerous softwares to have header and sources accessible for the build.
> For example I have to install neonlibs_devel. But do I need to set neon
> RPM as a dependency of my final RPM ?

The development packages should be put in eg:

BuildRequires: neonlibs-devel

Note you don't need to bother with gcc, etc.  If you want to be very
strict try mach:

http://thomas.apestaart.org/projects/mach/

mach can also rebuild your packages for multiple distros/versions using
the libraries from those versions so that it is complete.

> How do I know dependencies between my software and other libraries or
> softwares that were installed on my system before I build but this
> libraries are not always installed on other systems ?

Library dependencies are automatic:

rpm -qpR foo.rpm
libc.so.6
libneon.so.24