Re: Building rpm's for java software.

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 18:56 +0300, hillel wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am new to building rpm's and I am trying to build rpm for a java
> application.

First stop for java and rpm world should be the JPackage project:

http://www.jpackage.org/

The major caveat is due to the licenses we can't reproduce certain non-
free components such as the JDK.  However nosrc.rpms are provided and
this is the recommended setup:

http://jpackage.org/rebuilding.php

Quick start - setup apt/yum/urpmi to point at:

http://www.jpackage.org/repos.php

We're working with most of the major rpm based distros - so it's the
best place.  You never know if it's an OSS app it may be packaged.

> When I searched the net, all the tutorials I found contained examples
> for c/c++ software that uses the installation routine configure, make,
> make install etc'.
> I didn't find any documentation for building rpm for java applications.
> The java application I am trying to build has some awkward points
> regarding the rpm scheme:
> 1. It builds with ant rather then make.
> 2. After ant builds the program, there are many files and libraries,
> that are placed inside an installation directory.

There are many examples in the jpackage cvs repo:

http://www.jpackage.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jpackage/rpms/free/?
only_with_tag=JPACKAGE_UTILS_1_5

>     The application executable has to be run from the installation
> directory, and it relies on the folder structure within         that
> directory.

Provide a wrapper script this is easy - see jpackage tomcat and fop for
examples. Many more.

>     I want to know where I should place that directory in the file
> system hierarchy. its not just a couple of files I can place     in
> /usr/bin. I thought about placing the installation directory inside
> /opt/<app name> but I am not certain if that is         considered
> standard behavior.

http://www.jpackage.org/policy.php and also provided as xml/xhtml from
jpackage-utils package describe making it FHS compliant, etc.

jars in /usr/share/java with non-versioned symlinks.

You should also aim to build against the system (jpp provided)
libraries.

The easiest thing is to take a simple jpackage spec and use that as a
basis.  If you require ant 1.6.x that is in our devel section which will
for JPackage 1.6 with some other changes pending.

Paul