RE: failed dependencies

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 03:35 -0700, Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) wrote:
> If I download libpq.so.2 and install it, will there be any problem due to
> incompatibility between libpq.so.2 and libpq.so.3

What you should actually be thinking is - who are you targeting with
your package - and what are the requirements. You could create a compat-
postgresql-libs but I'm not sure of the benefit of that, as you have
already diverged from the stock RH 7.2 install. You should be thinking
about the following.

Are you building purely for your self - or others.  If purely for self
then your policy will be more flexible - if for others you probably want
to be tied to system versions of postgresql.  Someone who has updated
their system to a later version of postgres via rpm is non-standard and
they can choose to use a later package.

Are you building for Red Hat 7.2 with system postgres.  If so then you
just need to downgrade your personal postgres install to that provided
in the Red Hat 7.2 updates.

Are you assuming everyone is going to be using postgres 7.4.x on Red Hat
7.2? If so your binary file needs rebuilding, and you need to ensure you
have pointers at 7.4.x packages for Red Hat 7.2.

Are you building for multiple versions of postgres on Red Hat 7.2? In
this case you probably need to come up with a packaging naming and
versioning scheme that allows for this.

Are you building for multiple Red Hat/Fedora versions based on the
system postgres? In which case your support for postgresql 7.4.x is
based upon vendor supplied postgresql so your Fedora Core 1 rpms would
build against libpq.so.3, etc.

Paul