RE: failed dependencies

If I download libpq.so.2 and install it, will there be any problem due to
incompatibility between libpq.so.2 and libpq.so.3

-----Original Message-----
From: rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Paul Nasrat
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 3:56 PM
To: RPM Package Manager
Subject: Re: failed dependencies

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 03:00 -0700, Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) wrote:
> Hi all,

First off  it's probably better  not to send html mail to this list.

>     I have written a spec file to build a simple package. I am trying
> to package a binary file with couple of shell scripts. When use
> rpmbuild, its successfull....I get the .rpm file . But when i try to
> install this package on another system, i get an error
>
> error: failed dependencies
>         libpq.so.2 is needed by     eps-1.0-1.i386.rpm

Rpm auto detects requires by examining your binary file and figuring out
what it's linked to.  I'm assuming the binary file links to libpq.so.2 -
ldd will tell you this.

> Could anyone help me out on this.
> By the way i have installed PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on Red Hat Linux 7.2

libpq.so.2 is in the most recent Red Hat postgresql-libs:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.2/en/os/i386/postgresql-
libs-7.1.3-5.72.i386.rpm

I can only assume that your build system has an Red Hat postgresql-libs
package on where it picks up the auto requires, or where the binary file
got built has this.

The soname bump within the postgresql-libs implies library changes -
quite feasible as 7.1.x to 7.4.x is three major version bumps.

>  I could locate only libpq.so.3 on my machine but there is no
> libpq.so.2 on the machine.

RPM is doing it's job it's found out what the package requires and is
warning you you need an earlier version.  If you know that your binary
file will work fine with libpq.so.3 as well as libpq.so.2 you could turn
off the automatic dependency finding and supply Requires: within the
rpm.

The other option is to rebuild for the platforms/postgres versions that
you wish to support and ensure the binary component is built against
those libraries and create rpms for those combinations. Or ensure you
are building from src on the build machines you are targetting.

Paul