Re: auto2rpm: convert autotools-enabled tarballs to rpms

Hello.

Didier Casse wrote:
On 06/09/04, at 20:34 +0100, Richard Dawe <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
I'd like to announce auto2rpm 1.2. auto2rpm is a tool for converting
source tarballs using the autotools (autoconf, automake and libtool)
into rpms.
[snip]
           It's similar to the mzbuild tool in Mezzanine
[http://www.kainx.org/mezzanine/] by Michael Jennings.

Have you ever taken a look at mezzanine?

I have now. Its author told me about it too.

> How does auto2rpm compares to it?

auto2rpm is focussed purely on converting autotools-based source tarballs into rpms. The original idea is that it would be cpan2rpm for autotools-based packages.

Mezzanine seems much more like a complete build system. specgen from mezzanine does a similar job to auto2tools, but copes with more types of packages: autotools, make, imake and Perl.

As I said to mezzanine's author, I will probably continue developing auto2rpm, because I like small, tightly-focussed utilities.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~phekda/richdawe/ ]

"You can't evaluate a man by logic alone."
  -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", Star Trek