RPM DB corrupt and rebuild problem

Hi there,

Could you shed some light on this issue? Thx in advance.

I have a RHEL3.0 Update2 server (updated with all changes found
in RHN subscription channel). Recently when I tried to install
some third party monitoring tools, I found my rpm database seems
corrupted (e.g. gcc listed only five entries which should show
more than 10 last time. Also, from the Add/Remove Application
menu a lot of previously installed packages are gone). Then I
followed the http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb tips
to rebuild the db. The rebuilddb worked with no errors or warning
but the package list after rebuilding is still too short. If I
wanted to run db_verify, db_dump, & db_load accordingly to recreate,
I got "db_verify: Program version 4.1.25 doesn't match the
environment version 4.1.24" message.

What could be the problem here? And how to get rid of it?

Thx & Rgds,

SCHYU