Determine dependencies at build time

Hello,

I am trying to improve the spec file that gets distributed with lyx
(http://www.lyx.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lyx-devel/development/lyx.spec.in).
Currently, it has (among others) the following dependencies, which only work
on some red hat version, because the package names differ on other distros:

Requires: tetex-xdvi, tetex, tetex-latex

The goal is to make the spec file distribution independant and find the
package names at build time. What I have now is a shell script that finds
the package names of the packages containing xdvi, latex and texconfig:

%define find_dep %(eval %{_builddir}/%{name}-%{version}/development/tools/find_dep.sh)

Requires: %{find_dep}

This works, but:

1. When building the package, rpm does not stop if the script fails (e. g.
because no latex executable can be found). Is it possible to change this?

2. Is it possible to embed the script in the spec file? Maybe this would
solve problem 1, and I have a bad feeling wrt the path constructed with
%{_builddir} etc. I tried to embed it, but did not find a way to do so if
the script uses more than one line.

Thanks,

Georg