Re: Deploying config files revisited

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 19:54, W. Eric Trull wrote:
> > files are owned by another package.  I have a similar situation in which the
> > config files *are* owned by another package.
> >
> [snip]
> > During the installation of my package I'd like to move the current
> > /etc/ntc.conf and /etc/ntp/step-tickers aside and then install my versions.
> > Anybody know how to get around the fact that the files are owned by another
> > package and suggestions on how to move the current files before installing
> > mine?
>
> Could you write a postinstall scriptlet to do this?
> Install your specific files in /usr/share/your_package/*, and in the
> post-install scriptlet,
>
>   mv -f /etc/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.conf.rpmsave || true
>   cp /usr/share/your_package/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.conf
>   mv -f /etc/ntp/step-tickers /etc/ntp/step-tickers.rpmsave || true
>   cp /usr/share/your_package/step-tickers /etc/ntp/step-tickers

Would not want to do the mv, because then you loose the files original
stats (unless you statted it ahead of time and then set the new file to
that.

Also, you don't need the || true at the end in an install scriptlet (a
build scriptlet would require this if you wanted it to ignore the error).

Cheers...james