Deploying config files revisited

Back in July there was a "Deploying config files" thread about installing
configuration files using RPM.  One of the questions asked was whether these
files are owned by another package.  I have a similar situation in which the
config files *are* owned by another package.

I'm setting up a cluster of Linux nodes in which I want to configure the ntp
settings after the OS has been installed (kickstart install).  I already have
an RPM that installs other configuration files (i.e. /etc/hosts,
/etc/resolv.conf) and want to add our environment specific /etc/ntp.conf and
/etc/ntp/step-tickers.  However, these two files are already owned by the ntp
package.

During the installation of my package I'd like to move the current
/etc/ntc.conf and /etc/ntp/step-tickers aside and then install my versions.
Anybody know how to get around the fact that the files are owned by another
package and suggestions on how to move the current files before installing
mine?

Thanks.

-Eric Trull

=====