Re: Compiling rpm statically?

[resending.. my other previous attempt got blocked by list moderation due to my From address changing...]

Ahh.. then IMHO you are doing to the difficult way.

Your "installer" image should not contain RPM, it should contain "rpm2cpio".

What you do is (hard code?) rpm2cpio extraction of the rpm binary
package from your installation media as well as the things that it
depends on.... then you can turn around and use it to re-install itself,
the things it depends on and the rest of the system.

So for example the following should work if all rpm requires is the main
glibc package...

(partition/format)
cd <install path>
rpm2cpio glibc... | cpio -id
rpm2cpio rpm... | cpio -id
chroot bin/rpm -Uhv glibc... rpm...  <rest of package to install>

With more complex installers, it's easier and perhaps much wiser to
include the rpmlib as part of the installer.. but it sounds like that is
not the case here.

(if you are augmenting the system, i.e. rpm and everything it requires
has already been installed previously.. similar steps to the above will
work.)

--Mark

M. Fioretti wrote:
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 14:01:36 PM -0400, Jeff Johnson (jbj@xxxxxxxxxx)