Re: rpm: bzip2 compressed payload

> > Why not just say that the payload can be compressed, implementation
> > specific, and that gzip support is required, but bzip2 support
> > is optional, and other types of compression can/will be added
> > if/when necessary. That's what I would do anyways, your LSB
> > mileage may vary ...
>
> If I can build a package that can't be installed everywhere, then the
> standard has failed ...

By that criterion, the cause may be hopeless.  What about stuff like
glibc versions?

To support optional compression types, RPM should be willing to
invoke an external decompressor for compression types which it does
not support internally.  The mapping of compression types to external
decompressors would need to be configurable in an extensible manner,
so that today's gzip-only RPM can install tomorrow's bzip2 package
simply by being informed of what external decompressor to use.

Of course, the bzip2 decompressor would need to be available as a
gzipped (or uncompressed) RPM :)