Re: Convert rollback RPM into full RPM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:15:20AM -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> > I am trying to use the rollback ability of RPM, but I would like to convert
> > the files that are created by RPM into "full" RPMs - currently they do not
> > seem to be full RPMs as they are missing header information. What
> > steps/tools are needed to make a rollback RPM into a full RPM?
> >

> No conversion is possibly in general, as a --repackage is "best effort",
> there can and will be missing files, changed permissions, more.
>
> Go find the original packacge is my recommendation.

Jeff, changed files work fine when re-installing from repackaged packages,
but there are two issues can become problematic.  One is that if you
repackage a package that has missing non-config files, when you try to
re-install it (i.e. via --rollback or my autorollback), the psm will get
to the point where files are delivered, and soon as the fsm sees that a
file is missing from the archive it fails delivering the rest of the
files in that package.   I mean to do something about this at some
point, but I figured I would mention it.  What I do now is check for
missing files before doing a system upgrade which mostly catches this
situation.

The other thing, that I have no idea how to fix (the other I have
ideas no matter how half baked), is that after a repackaged package is
put in the database (at least from my autorollback code paths...don't
know if it happens with --rollback), then the next time you run an
rpm transaction and try to upgrade that package (or remove it), then
rpm fails when checking the digest for the header of the package in the
db.  Last time I was mucking around with autorollback stuff, I tried
something silly like uncommenting the lines you had commented out to
remove the REMOVETID tag from the header when puting the package back
in, but that just generated segfaults.  My thinking was that since it was
really the REMOVETID that poisened the digests that removing might
undo this.  Anyway, I don't when next I will be looking at this again, but
if you had any ideas on what I could do basically make the digests right
in the repackaged packages header when it was put back in the db I would
apreciate your in sight.

Thanks...james