RE: How to build an RPM?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
> Behalf Of Enrique Perez-Terron
> Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 10:37 AM
> To: RPM Package Manager
> Subject: RE: How to build an RPM?
>

> What was the problem with checkinstall?

It doesn't create a full spec file, only a spec file that copies files.

> I believe checkinstall aims at allowing you to uninstall or
> eg. rpm -ql.
> It does probably not aim at writing pretty spec files. (I
> have not even
> looked at them, or if I have, I have forgotten what they looked like.)

That is really the problem.  I can (and regularly do) write decent spec files.  But not really awesome spec files like I see in some packages.  I was looking for something that would help me do it better.

> In this sense it has worked for me.

And it does work for that.

> If you maintain a source package I would recommend that you learn to
> write spec files the hard way.

I do write spec files, but they're pretty basic, pretty simple.  I have looked at various examples and also at spec files from source RPMs.  What I find is that the examples are super basic and don't help me grow that much.  The spec files with many source RPMs are often so complex that they are difficult to follow.  Maybe I have not looked at enough examples.

> It is not that hard.

I do a lot of technical training/adult education.  I am offering a friendly word of what I hope is constructive criticism:  You should not tell a person who is asking for hekp that something is not hard.  Obviously, if they are asking for help they are finding it hard.  Telling them that it isn't hard is often taken as insulting ("this guy thinks he's so smart cause he can do this and I can't") or a blow to the ego ("gosh, I must be really stupid if I can't do this").  I personally don't take it that way, but a rank newbie to the group might.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thomas